Friday 10 January 2014

Ouchy but beautiful

This is Teresa's other Christmas present. I have been searching for some of these glass dome necklaces for a long time just so I could make this.
The first thing I did was make the grass to fit in the bottom of the dome. This consisted of me needle felting a very small piece of green wool into a tiny flat circle (sounds easy you say), what actually happened was I lost said piece of green wool several times, including in the foam you use for needle felting. When I finally got the shape almost right I carefully glued the 'grass' into the bottom of the dome.
 Next I made the tiny toadstool from white and red felting wool. This mainly consisted of my stabbing myself repeatedly with a felting needle (if you've never seen one of these they are extremely sharp barbed needles).
After much chuntering and a bit of bleeding I had something that resembled a miniature toadstool.
So how do you get a miniature toadstool into a tiny glass dome? It was a bit of a ship in a bottle situation, but with a little more glue and a good pair of tweezers I finally succeeded.
Even gluing the metal lid to the glass dome turned into a challenge but I was really pleased with the end result.
I just hope Teresa likes it as much as she says because she has the only example of this piece of art (I doubt I'll do it ever again)



1 comment:

  1. I really couldn't believe that you had made this yourself because it is sooooo tiny! It is fantastic and I think you should make lots more of them (who needs fingers anyway!!)

    ReplyDelete

Followers